In December 1910 a prophecy was given in Emmanuel Mission Hall indicating that Pastor Hutchinson and a Mr. J. Dennis should go to Penygroes and anoint “the Lord’s Servant” at a farm where a number of people would gather without any prior arrangement. They went to Penygroes and ministered in the Evangelical Church. They were asked to go with Mr. D.P. Williams to a farm to pray for a sick child. A company of people had met at the farm and during a time of prayer Mr. J. Dennis gave a word of prophecy in which Mr. D.P. Williams was named as “the shepherd of His people”. The prophecy given previously in Bournemouth was then read to those present and Mr. D.P. Williams was ordained. Although this ordination was not accepted by many of the members of the Evangelical Church a further prophecy in the assembly early in 1911 indicated that “the one ordained” should be the leader and this was accepted.
In May 1911 the assembly in Bournemouth was described in the magazine as “The Apostolic Faith Church” and by the end of the year there were six assemblies in Scotland, eleven in England, and thirteen in Wales. All were in active fellowship with the Bournemouth church. The Apostolic Faith Church was the first Pentecostal Denomination founded in Britain.
The speakers at the opening of the Apostolic Faith Church building in Penygroes in May 1914 were Pastors W.O. Hutchinson, D.P. Williams, M. Reade and E.C.W. Boulton (a future leader in the Elim Pentecostal Church who was used in prophecy in the Apostolic Faith Church). In June the London Convention for the Church was held in Arthur Street Chapel, King’s Cross and a word of prophecy was given in which Pastor D.P. Williams was called as the Apostle to lead the Apostolic Faith Churches in Wales and Pastor A. Murdoch was called similarly to lead the Churches in Scotland. Both men were ordained by Pastor W.O. Hutchinson who was described as “the Chief Apostle”. The teachings of the Church were set out in the magazine as – Conviction of sin, Repentance, Restitution and Confession; Justification and Sanctification; The Baptism of the Holy Ghost, with the sign of New Tongues; Divine Healing for the body; The Blood of Jesus. Pleading and Sprinkling; the Gifts of the Holy Ghost; Eternal Punishment for the Unbelieving; The Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; The Millennium Reign; Tithes and Offerings; Ordinances. Water Baptism by Immersion. The Lord’s Supper. Fellowship and Breaking of Bread; The Divine Inspiration, authority and sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures; The Unity of the Godhead and the Trinity of the Persons therein; The utter depravity of human nature in consequence of the Fall; The Incarnation and Virgin-Birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and His work of Atonement for all sinners of the human race; The immortality of the soul, the resurrection of the body and the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ to judge the quick and the dead; the eternal blessedness of the righteous, and the eternal punishment of the wicked.
The seventh major Conference of the Apostolic Faith Church was held in Bournemouth from 31 July to 3 August 1915 and after a word of prophecy stating – “bring your treasure to the Apostles’ feet”, over £3,000 was received in the special offering. This was a large amount of cash etc. for those days and Pastor D.P. Williams suggested that a Committee of seven men should be responsible for its wise use. This was flatly refused by Pastor Hutchinson who stated that it was his money to use as he pleased. This was the beginning of tension which eventually led to a meeting of Church leaders on 8 January 1916 in the Apostolic Faith Church, Ammanford, South Wales, during which Pastor D.P. Williams stood and asked all those who no longer accepted the authority of Pastor Hutchinson to stand with him and leave the meeting. Representatives of three churches in Wales continued in the Apostolic Faith Church and all the others left to form the Apostolic Church with its Headquarters in Penygroes, South Wales.
Special meetings were held in the Apostolic Church, Penygroes (formerly Apostolic Faith Church) in March 1916. The speakers were Mr. A. Bell, the leader of the Apostolic Faith Church in Dunfermline, Scotland, and Pastor R. Jardine (1878-1950) from the Pentecostal Assembly, Bedford, England, which had been opened by Mr. C. Polhill (one of the famous ‘Cambridge Seven’). Pastor Jardine had been baptised in water in 1902 and been a minister in the Baptist Church until he was baptised in the Holy Spirit in 1912. In the Penygroes meetings he was named by several Prophets as an Apostle for England and he was ordained by Pastors D.P. Williams and T. Jones (who had been recognised as an Apostle in Llanelli in 1915).
The Apostolic Church published its first magazine entitled “Riches of Grace” in April 1916. It was made clear that the Church was in no way connected with the Apostolic Faith Church, Winton, Bournemouth. A list of the nineteen churches in Wales was included in the magazine. During the first week of August 1916 the Apostolic Church held its first major Convention in the Penygroes. During 1917 another eight assemblies were opened and the Convention in August was held in a large tent in order to accommodate the crowds.
In 1916 Pastor R. Jardine and Pastor E.C.W. Boulton (as the Prophet) ministered for two weeks in a Pentecostal assembly called “The Burning Bush” in Glasgow, Scotland. Pastor Jardine wrote to Pastor D.P. Williams and told him he had met – “a man of God in Glasgow, there are mighty deeds done through him in the Name of Jesus”. This man was Pastor A. Turnbull who had opened a Pentecostal Assembly in Portobello, Edinburgh, Scotland with Mr. J. Ferguson in 1912 and had became part of the Apostolic Faith Church. During 1918 Pastor Turnbull heard of a group of “pentecostal believers in Wales, who were convinced of the efficacy of directive prophecy”. Prophecy and visions confirmed that the group in Wales should be contacted and Pastors D.P. Williams and W.J. Williams (he had been recognised as a Prophet in 1913) were invited to Glasgow. They paid another visit a year later during which the leaders of the “Burning Bush” decided to become part of the Apostolic Church. In that same year the Pentecostal Assembly in Smethwick, Birmingham also decided to join the Apostolic Church.
In 1918 Pastor F. Hodges from Hereford, England decided to visit the August Penygroes Convention. He was told of the blessings being experienced in the 1917 Penygroes Convention but was also warned that Pastor D.P. Williams and his colleagues were “in error”. He decided to go and see for himself and was blessed and impressed by what he saw and heard, particularly by the content and quality of the anointed prophetic ministry. After the 1919 Convention he invited Pastor D.P. Williams and other Pastors to minister in the Hereford Church. When they arrived for the meeting they were amazed to see the name “The Apostolic Church” engraved over the entrance and Pastor F. Hodges remarked – “That name has been waiting for you for seven years”. After this period of ministry and sharing together about doctrine, Pastor Hodges and his congregation became part of the Apostolic Church and many other meetings were opened in the surrounding area.
The first Apostolic Church Convention was held in Glasgow in 1920. A party led by Pastor D.P. Williams ministered there. Pastor A. Turnbull had been in correspondence with Pastor B. Fisher of the Pentecostal Church, Great Victoria Street, Belfast. They also ministered there in January 1920 with the result that the assembly there also joined the Apostolic Church. In October 1920 a Pastor and an Evangelist were sent to Belfast from Wales to help the progress of the work there. These men were the first ministers sent from Britian to another country.